Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wisdom From a Four-Year-Old

The other day as I was having a quiet time, Eliza asked me to do something with her. Used to being interrupted, I said, "Not right now, I'm spending time with Jesus. When I'm finished talking with Jesus then we can play." Her response was, "I pray sometimes too, Mommy." I said, "Really, when do you do that?" Thinking she was talking about prayer time before bed or at the dinner table. But she answered, "Well, I just close my eyes and bow my head and pray to God alone in my room." I said, "What do you pray about?" "I just sit quiet and pray, Mommy." "I know, but what do you talk to God about when you pray?" "Nothing, Mommy, I just sit quiet and listen to God."

My eyes welled up with tears as I thought about what I could stand to learn from my 4-year-old! To sit and quiet my spirit enough to listen to my God. Isn't that what prayer is intended to be? Less talking from me and more listening to God. Oh, God, may my prayer life be more childlike: simple, expectant, full of faith and innocence.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

oh man. wow.

Unknown said...

Precious, beautiful, and what we all need so desperately...

Thanks you Diane for sharing... and thank you Liza!

Unknown said...

hey diane! this is bryan from the urban project consultation. i found your blog through marshall's, which i found via our good friend google. i liked your posting. that's a pretty amazing story about your daughter. sounds like you've got a prayer warrior in the makings.

hey, i wanted to let you know that i found the title of that third culture kid book -- "third culture kids: the experience of growing up among worlds." it's written by pollock and van reken. hope you enjoy it!