Friday, November 30, 2007

I Can't Do it Today!

I can't be a supermom today. I was done before my feet hit the floor. I'm tired and I don't know why. I'm still in my PJs, it's 2:00 pm. My top is inside out, with a hole in the armpit and spit up all down the side...dried. My son did not take a nap this morning and remained grumpy, his "lambie" smelled like sour milk, so I had to wash it. The internet is slow. I found out that Clinton Kelly is gay. My hair looks like Whoopie Goldberg because I slept on it wet without combing it. I have dark circles under my eyes (because they aren't covered in makeup!). My stomach feels weird, maybe because I've had 4 cups of coffee to "wake up." My socks have many colored spots from play dough crumbs as I've walked through my newly mopped kitchen where Eliza was making a "snack" for us all. Psalter leaked through her diaper...onto her Snow White dress and the kitchen chair (which is also decorated with many colors of play dough mashed into the fabric--nice!). Jacob gagged on "real" food and spit up chunks of oranges, chicken and formula because Eliza kept shoving more food into his mouth when I wasn't looking. So I had to change his clothes, which is no easy task. I tried to have a "quiet time" with God, but after the umpteenth interruption I gave up. Psalter wanted to play "Little One" and Eliza wanted to play "Snack time" and Jacob just wanted me to hold him. All I wanted to do was find a port key to a remote cottage, with clean PJs, a cup of fresh, good coffee and gaze into a fireplace...or curl up on my couch and watch TLC for the day. Instead, I have three little people that want me and rely on me and I have laundry to fold and put away, a body to dress, phone calls to make, a dinner to concoct.

Although I haven't felt like being a mom today, I still was able to swallow my selfishness and "funk" enough to enjoy some precious reading time with all three, as they fought to sit in my lap...do some dancing to cheer everyone up, participate in the "snack time" that Eliza put together, enjoy watching her clean it all up without being asked, and now enjoy a long silence from Jacob as he sleeps and the girls as they watch Nick Jr. (Thank you, Lord, for the 3 months of cable we get during basketball season, it's like magic--they don't fight over what to watch!) Just goes to show, I really can't be supermom any day! Days like today show me that I cannot do it alone. Lord, show me how to live out of Your strength and life, because I'm done doing it alone.

3 comments:

Marshall Benbow said...

ANd yet again, you amaze me - how do you do what you do, even on days like that one? You ARE super mom.

Jenny said...

that makes two of us who are amazed! thank you, Lord, for Diane and the awesome mom that you allow her to be.

Rachel said...

hi friend. i'm having such a day today. i was such a "female dog" to justin this morning. seriously. he's sick and tired and i was so condescending, so easily annoyed. i'm so at the end of my rope and very much at the place where i need to rely on the Lord. but will I? why won't i?(maybe i should go write a post about that...)