Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Cute Things My Kids Say: Part 2

One day some neighborhood girls were knocking on Dayna's (our housemate who rents the basement apartment)door. I hollered at 'em (in the 'hood' this means that I leaned out my window to talk to them). Eliza was standing behind me and asked, "Mommy, why are they a different color and still our friends?" So it gave me a chance to explain God's love for all people of the world no matter what race, socio-economic status, culture, He loves us all the same. And He calls us to love ALL just like He does. Her response, "Yeah, just like 'be ye kind one to another...'" (BTW, I didn't teach her that verse, her preschool beat me to it).

The night of the time change I was alone with the 3 kids and we had eaten dinner and it was only 5:30. What do we do for 2 more hours???? So we went to Chick Fil-A for ice cream to kill some time. For two days I had been working each day, so I hadn't worn makeup or worn anything other than beat up stretch pants and my bright red crocs (which I love). As we walked into Chick Fil-A I was waiting for Stacy and Clinton to jump out from behind the counter and hand me a Bank of America card with $5000 if I turned over my wardrobe (can you tell what my favorite TV show is?). The only redeeming quality and reason I MIGHT be acceptable here was because of my NorthFace fleece and red crocs. As we were leaving Psalter said, "Mommy, you look so pretty tonight. I like your shirt." I laughed silently and told her 'thank you.' Then Eliza piped up, "Mommy, when are you going to put on some makeup. Maybe you could wear some jewelry and a head band instead of a ponytail. Because you've been wearing a pony tail lots of days and you kinda look like Jenny from Oliver & Company."

Yesterday in the kitchen Eliza said, "Mommy, you're the best mommy!" I said, "Eliza, you're the best 4 year-old!" She responded, "No, mommy, I'm not, lots of times I'm bad." I asked why she thought that. "Because sometimes I take Psalter's toys when she just got them for her birthday...." She named a few more things that didn't make a lot of sense. I felt this was the perfect opportunity for a lesson on grace, so I took it. I explained how Jesus died for all of our "bad" stuff and so we can still be the "best" because Jesus is living in our hearts and through us. Eliza responded, "Mommy, that's just shocking!!"

I don't have much more from Psalter because it's been a lot of whining lately (welcome to the 3s!!!).

2 comments:

emily freeman said...

Hi-lar-i-ous. I love it

Rachel said...

thx for sharing! so funny! makes me want to see those girls and get our kiddies together!