Saturday, November 3, 2007

Overworked, Underpayed, and Usually Unappreciated, Yet I Love My Job...



Lately I've been really striving to "stop and smell the roses" so-to-speak. I've realized that it's not so important to have the floor vacuumed, the dishes and laundry done or the toys picked up. It's more important to have puzzle races, play "Little One," color, tell stories, play peek-a-boo and give my children juice or a snack when they ask, not "...in a minute." No wonder they don't always do what I ask right away. I hear myself saying "...in a minute..." too often.

A few weeks ago a friend sent out an e-mail which contained a poem that was written by a young cancer patient. She was encouraging us all to stop and listen to the music, not dance our life or time away. It struck a chord with me. (no pun intended). Having some good friends who are struggling with cancer made it sink in even more. They suffer so much, yet they seize every moment of life and find the joy in it, no matter how simple or hard it is.

We decided last month that I should cut back on some work hours, so that I could spend more time with the kids. Can I tell you how much I'm enjoying it? Psalter benefits the most from it right now since Eliza is in pre-school 4 mornings a week. This past Wed. when Jacob was napping I experienced the sweetest moment with Psalter. We were playing Cinderella, I was Anastasia and I was taking a nap on her bed. I asked Psalter if she was going to tuck me in and she said "No." She went on her way and I lay there quiet. Then I saw her coming out of the corner of my eye. She knelt down, rubbed my head and started singing, "Jesus loves me, thisino....they are weak, but He is prong..." Then she leaned over and kissed me on my cheek (which was hiding a smile) and said, "I love you so much, Little One!" I wanted to cry, the emotion that welled up was so intense. I was so content to be who I was, where I was, right then. Those moments are the ones that make it all worth it. I wouldn't have "had the time" to experience it if I had let the other worries and duties get in the way. So, stop dancing through life--it WILL go on, stop and listen to the music. May you find peace and rest in the stopping and the listening.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

that's a great word!! those moments are experienced, found, and cherished so much more when we allow the space for them. so glad you were sung to by your little one!

Lee Simmons said...

Diane, I read this post in the morning and then that afternoon I had a chance to either play with the kids and then color with Cecilia or clean some. With your thoughts on my mind I chose to spend play time with the kids. It was such a good choice! Thanks for the blog! It is calling me to freedom!