Monday, January 7, 2008

"...In Sickness and in Health..."

Six loads of laundry, baths in the middle of the night, four moppings, a pack of clorox wipes, a roll of paper towels and many tears later, I decided that parents should have to make vows before their midwives or doctor as soon as that little one is pushed out. How else could you be prepared for the "sickness" part of the vows. In the most glorious moment of your life, as you hold that slimy, warm, sweet newborn baby to your chest, you're not thinking down the road several months or several years later when you'll kill your back bending down to clean up throw-up all over the house. But maybe stating some sort of vows like you do in your wedding would at least prepare you that it's for sure coming!! It's not like I won't take care of my kids when their sick, but just a clue of what it could be like and the knowledge that my life is changing forever would have been nice to have known!

The point is that we would promise to love them in sickness and in health. Even as hard and sometimes as aggravating and gross as it sometimes, I love each them even more than the first moment I saw them. I rejoice in the fact that I can clean up their throw-up because they are a precious gift to me and I'm very blessed to be able to do so.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Well, i definitely don't rejoice about throw up (haha), but i do know what you mean about loving no matter what. you feel so sad for them, but if you're anything like me, start freaking out about even getting close enough to clean up the stuff, knowing that in 12 hours, you'll be the one over the toilet. i hope everyone is on the mending end. i'm sorry it's been so constant with the sickness for you all!

Jenny said...

maybe this throwing up episode will someday be something you can look back at and laugh, like the poop in the tub! or maybe not...it just reminds me that even thought it's wonderful, i don't think i'll be taking the oath for a loooong time. but i'm happy to play with your precious ones anytime (as long as i can return them). :)