Monday, January 7, 2008

An Answer to My Very Own Question...

In my last blog I wrote about a terrible day we had several weeks ago. At the end I stated this, "So, obviously, I cannot get away from these sad moments, many of them live around me. Therefore, if I can't escape them or ignore them, what DO I do with them?" As Marshall and I reflected on that day we talked about a line from my favorite Christmas song, "Fall on your knees..." In our sadness about the life situations of our neighbors and their families, Marshall highlighted this phrase of the song, "...the thrill of hope, a weary world rejoices, for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn'..." The Israelites were an oppressed people, so the coming of a Messiah which was promised to them through the prophets hundreds of years before was a glorious and long-awaited event. And of course, just like God always does on His terms rather than ours (because He knows best), Christ did not come like they had imagined. I'm sure they thought he would come in a kingly fashion to swoop in and rescue his people through battle. Instead he came through a virgin, in a stinky, uncomfortable, cold stable. He came as a baby. The key in all of this and answer to my question of what do I do with all the sadness I encounter and see out my window every day, is simply love.

All of this He did out of unexplainable, unconditional, unmeasurable, perfect love. The fact that Christ was born into poverty shows God love for the poor and His purpose to use them for His honor and glory. Only His love, only His love, only His love overcomes all hopelessness. So, what do I do with the despair I feel when I see my friends walking and dealing the streets? Now when I start to feel despair or hopelessness, I fall on my knees if I can and I start to sing this song, "the thrill of hope, a weary world rejoices..." and I envision all the people of Glenwood raising their hands in freedom and praise to my glorious Savior who came out of love to bring hope into this weary world. He is still bringing hope to my weary neighborhood by putting us here to love them, through His love. THAT is the thrill of hope and THAT is my calling.

2 comments:

Elana said...

Diane!! hey hey! just wanted to say i really enjoyed this post...hope u guys are doing well:) xoxo

Jenny said...

thanks for sharing, diane. it's easy to get bogged down in the hopelessness of the world...i'm so glad that there is hope in our God. i think i might be seeing that carol all year round...