Thursday, October 11, 2007

This Potty Train is NOT Moving!

Yes, that's right. I have an almost 3 year old (in two weeks)who is not AT ALL interested in potty training. In fact a couple of months ago she WAS interested in wearing panties. She had been starting to dress herself and show more independence in other ways too, just like her older sister had when she was ready. So...I started to get excited and said, "Well, if you want to wear panties, you have to go pee-pee in the potty." Pretty self explanatory, you'd think. We even went to the potty to practice. She sat down and got up exclaiming, "I did it, I went potty." Well, hopeful thinking as I looked in to find it dry as a bone, nothing, nada, zilch.

So we proceeded through our day in panties. Several times I walked through puddles on the floor and carpet. Each time I'd check her panties, yes they were wet, so we changed them and talked about how she needed to run, run, run to sit on the potty when she started feeling them get wet. "Okay, mommy!" she would say. And then it would happen again. After the sixth pair of underwear and making her help me clean up the messes and showing her how to sit on the potty, I said, "Okay, Psalter, let's not wear panties and when you start to feel wet down your legs, run to the potty." I had heard that this worked for some moms, so I decided to try it. Well, needless to say, I walked into the living room a while later, to a very familiar stench (only this time it was not enclosed in a diaper). I found the two culprits, on the carpet--NICE--. Several toys were mashed inside. Yeah, those got thrown away. And yes, that was it for potty training. I found the wipes and a diaper and I covered that naked bottom.

Now that she is in a preschool class, I had hopes that some of her younger classmates (who are already potty trained) would rub off on her. But no such luck, yet. I asked her a few weeks ago when she wanted to be a big girl and use the potty. She responded, "Mommy I am a big girl!" "Yes, Psalter, you are, but grown up girls learn to use the potty." She said, "Mommy, I want to be a grown up and still wear a diaper!" I felt like retorting, "Well in a few years you'll have to hire someone to wipe you and change you because at 5 years old, I'm done!!" I'm not really stressed about it. In fact, it's more stressful potty training. I sort of dread the big grocery stores where you're in the middle, with a full cart of merchandise and three kids and one of them says, "Mommy, I've got to go potty." And they mean, NOW! So, I don't mind keeping her in diapers for now, it's pointless to teach her before she's ready. Besides, I don't know that I want my little girl to grow up quite yet.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

you're doing great diane! can't do it until she's ready anyway. i'm SO ready... it seems chg diapers is much easier that the alternative until thy are REALLY ready!