Monday, October 8, 2007

Things I'm Realizing I Like About Myself...because it's me!

I'm always late--at least by 5-10 min., if not more. It doesn't matter how early I start out. I'm still on "African time!"

I cry (more like sob) while watching things like: The Biggest Loser, ABC's Home-Makeover show, Rudy and Baraka Boys (must watch!). Oh, and also, those commercials for "help this child for only 20 cents a day..."

Most of my wardrobe is from yard sales, hand-me-downs, thrift stores or clearance racks.

I put the music on, when it's just me and the kids and we dance like crazy. (I don't know if I should be offended that they laugh at me).

I love deep theological discussions.

I'm naive enough to run (at night) after one of the neighborhood prostitutes to make sure she knows that Jesus loves her and she can come over anytime to talk.

I'm more comfortable serving others than being served.

I know when a waiter or waitress is "in the weeds." I love to encourage them and leave them a nice tip.

I love to travel--especially by air. I love airports, watching people and eavesdropping on their conversations or striking up one with the person beside me, but usually eavesdropping.

I love to make things like mosaics and cards.

My love language is time.

I get embarrassed for people, even in movies. I cringe in pain for people like Michael Scott from "The Office" or movies like "Kiss the Girl" when Drew Barrymore makes a fool out of herself in many situations. Sometimes I've had to leave the room because I can't take it anymore.

I love going to or watching Carolina football and basketball games and NASCAR races with my husband. I even watch the games or races on TV when he is out of town.

I'd rather talk to people face to face than over the phone or e-mail.

I'm invigorated with a run or walk outdoors.

I enjoy simple things in life: an orange moon, a star sprinkled sky, the calm before the storm, then the storm, walking barefoot through squishy mud or a creek, the wind in the trees, the fresh scent of spring flowers.

I love to roll down a grassy hill, holding my children, listening to them and myself giggle with glee all the way to the bottom. Then hearing, "Let's do that again!"

And lastly, not that this is all, but for now: I'm so thankful that my heart is (usually) open for God's continuous work, shaping me, refining me and allowing Him to love my family and friends through me.

***I still haven't figured out how to underline things on this site, so excuse all the errors. I'm technologically slow. :)

6 comments:

Marshall Benbow said...

This could also be entitled, "Many more reasons for me to love my wife" (even the one about being late)

Running With Hope said...

That's very sweet and humble of you to say, because I know that being late is pretty frustrating for you. I love that about you, that's why I TRY to be on time....

emily freeman said...

i think its really cute that you two have mini-date night conversations on diane's blog. and, by the way girl, i loved this post.

Rachel said...

love it! glad you took some time to think of yourself!

Jenny said...

i love these things about you too (some i didn't know until now). i would really like to cry over the biggest loser, take a walk, and/or roll down a grassy hill with you and your sweet kids sometime soon. :-)

Unknown said...

Diane, just finally found your blog through Marshall's... made me smile. Miss you and hope you're doing well!