Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Why Won't the Mess Just Go Away?

In a perfect world, I would be able to get out of bed in the morning and walk across my bedroom, through the foyer and to the bathroom without spraining my ankle on the 10 pairs of shoes or the Little People scattered around.

In a perfect world, I would be able to walk barefoot through the kitchen without stepping on a bead or walking through a sticky patch from yesterday's juice spill or a mushy crust of bread and be able to make my coffee without hearing the crash of 100 toys being dumped out of box a couple of rooms away.

In a perfect world, my children would pick up after themselves before they got out a new toy. They would sweep up the crumbs under their chairs from their breakfast lunch and dinner. They would pick up their dirty clothes and soggy diapers that they remove each morning, so that I wouldn't have to step on them throughout the day. They would scrub down the chairs and door frames that have a layers of yogurt, ketchup and peanut butter.


But praise the Lord that I don't live in a perfect world. Because in a perfect world I would not need to experience the unfailing love of God. In a perfect world I would not need to grow in humility and patience. In a perfect world I would not need to ask God for the grace to love my children each moment of every day like I do in my imperfect world.

5 comments:

EBrenner said...

What a beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing that insight. You continue to live out your faith in marvelous ways and it is a blessing to those around you.

emily freeman said...

looks like another emily beat me to it! I loved this post...a great reminder of our constant need to daily depend on the Father.

emily freeman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joshua Simmons said...

Diane, Your post was very insightful for me. I just see my mess as failure. Failure to stay on top of house cleaning, failure to teach my kids the goodness of putting up what they get out, Failure at what it means to be a "good" wife and mom. Your post called me to remember that the mess is just where life is now and that God uses it to win my heart and come alive in me. I've been missing a great opportunity to commune with Him! Thank You!

Joshua Simmons said...

oh and it's acutally Lee not Josh that left that post I did not know he was logged in.