Friday, September 21, 2007

3 o'clock baby

I'm going to start calling my 8 month old, "3 o'clock baby." For the past couple of weeks he's been waking up at 10:30, 3:00 and 6:00. Yes, he's my third and you'd think I'd have it figured out by now. I know people who's 3 month old FIRSTBORNs are sleeping through the night. But is my THIRDBORN? No chance. A month or so ago I asked the Lord what else He wanted from me, feeling like He was punishing me for something I was with-holding. But in a small gentle voice I heard Him ask me, "Why do you think I'm doing this to you?"

Well, I don't know...I guess I don't believe that God is punishing me, this is just a part of life. But I'm so ready for at least a 6 hour block of sleep. This is the point of parenthood that I'm throwing out all the books on baby's sleep. "Babywise", yeah dream on. Letting him cry it out is like torture because he literally screams like he's being tortured, it wakes up both of his sisters, so now I have three screaming children. Yeah, tried it, didn't work, not the answer. So, I just do the best I can, I get up, nurse him and go back to bed. Oh and sometimes I punch things because I'm so frustrated, like last night I was so angry I punched the leather chair in his room. At least it's padded...

Afterwards, as I felt my hand throb, I started to think about how this time really won't last. I won't be able to hold him like this much longer. And in 16 years he's probably not going to want me around as much. So why not be his superstar for right now. I'm his celebrity, the one he wants to see all the time, the one he's looking for. Not much longer, so enjoy the time now. I'll eventually get a full night's sleep, right now it's a delight to serve him, even if it's at 3 o'clock in the morning.

1 comment:

Meredith Uber said...

You are preaching to my choir! Garrett, who just turned 2 last week, had me up from 2:00-3:30, no real reason. He still consistently gets me up at least every other night. Marschall never slept good either. I really would like more children but the whole sleeping thing questions my ability to handle another one. It would mean I wouldn't have slept threw the night consistently for 5 years or so if and when we have another... jeez! I will remember to pray for you when I am up ;)