Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Susan

Susan, when I saw you walking the streets again this morning, my heart broke for you. Why do you run? The Savior is right there, waiting, ready for you to come to Him, ready to save you from yourself and this cruel world. He loves you so much, He pursues you, but you ignore His gentle voice.

And why wouldn't you, no one's left you any reason to listen and trust. You've been used, abused, rejected and judged for so long. Why would you believe what He says about you is true: that He knit you together in your mother's womb...He knows how many hairs are on your head...He saw your innocence taken from you and wept for you...He saw when you took your first "hit" of drugs and He saw when you first sold yourself for money, drugs or just a place to lay your head and yet He did not pick up a stone.

He's forgiven you already because He loves you, He wants to call you His own. He created you to love Him and glorify Him. He longs to peel off that ugly cloak of shame and clothe you with His beauty, His glory and His love. He's already forgiven you, Susan. You've come so close to believing that for yourself, but then you turn in fear and run. You run back to the life you know, it's comfortable to you because you've lived it so vividly. Why chance being vulnerable and broken, that's what got you to where you are today. But the truth remains...He's calling you. Whether that's through me or in another way, He will keep calling.

You are God's gift to me because you allow me to take my selfish eyes off myself and soften my heart towards God's incredible creation--people. You also provide me a physical picture of my spiritual life. I'm often running from God's gentle voice, running back to the things that are comfortable, of my flesh. I'm often hiding beneath a heavy cloak of shame, when I'm not choosing to believe what God says about me. The evil one wants to devour our hope and leave us in a pit of despair. But it's time to fight back. I'll fight with you, Susan, I love you.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

what a beautiful spirit you have, diane! i am so thankful for the opportunity to learn through you the heart of Christ for the susans in our neighborhood.