Friday, April 24, 2009

The World According to My Kids

Jacob screams when he wakes up every morning, "MOMEEE!!" This week I went in groggily and told him to hush, he didn't need to scream and he said, "Okay, sorry mommy." He proceeded to tell me he was screaming because his animals fell out of his bed, which meant he threw them out. I asked him as I do every morning, "Jacob, why do you have to scream?" This particular morning he said, "Mmmm, pee-cause (because) I miss mommy, long time." Of course my heart melted, even if it was before 7:00 AM.

At the dinner table this week, I was asking Psalter to tell her Daddy about the special visitor she had at pre-school that day. She said, "A fighter-fighter (a.k.a. fire fighter) clown named Flame came to talk about how to be safe around fires." So I probed with a question, "So what did you learn to do in a fire?" Psalter says, "Dial 9-9-1 and jump out the window." Oh, and she said the clown had a dog with him named Emporer (a.k.a. Ember). :)

Eliza was drawing a picture of a group of people with flames above their heads (the Pentecost that she learned about in Sun. School). She said to me, "I remember when we made flames in Chapel Hill out of tissue paper." And no, she was not referring to the craziness on Franklin Street after the Tar Heels won the NCAA tournament. That what she calls the chapel time during pre-school.

I've been using a lot of re-direction with Jacob when he starts a tantrum. For example, when I see there will be resistance to something I talk in my excited voice about something totally random to what we're doing. It usually helps him to snap out of his tantrum mode. So, this week he re-directed himself. I called him into his room to put him down for the night. He laid down on the floor saying, "don't want to..." I said his name sternly, "Jacob..." He got up on his hands and knees and started crawling, grumbling on the way. Then, out of the blue he started to growl as he crawled and said, "RRrrr I dinosaur! RRrrr!"

Psalter's rendition of the dog named "BINGO" song. "There was a farmer had a dog and Bingo was his name-o. E-I-N-G-O, E-I-N-G-O, E-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-o." It didn't matter that I tried to correct her.

Jacob's rendition of "Jesus loves me": "Jee-za loaves me, say no. For da BIble tell me so. Tittle one(t) Him be-yong, day are reghfjdfr is STRONG! Yes, Jee-za loaves meeee, Yes, Jee-za loaves meee....

4 comments:

Karen Howe said...

So precious! Diane, your blog is still my favorite blog to read-- thanks for posting more often! Karen Howe

Cara Michele said...

i miss having tiny people around. ;)

Caroline said...

Cute. Love the things they say. I just posted about some funny things that Wesley says. These are good times!

Joylynn said...

I LOVE these kinds of stories. Keep sharing them!