Monday, May 11, 2009

Pedestal

For my whole life I've been on a pedestal of sorts. I'm a missionary kid, so there's one. Among the missionary kids I was always the "good girl," I never rebelled, so there's another. Now, I've married into the ministry, there's yet another.

What do I mean by pedestal? It simply means that people look up to me and think I have it all together, so that I have no room to mess up. I feel expectations and therefore put expectations on myself. One expectation I felt as an M.K. was that I was supposed to become a missionary. So many people were disappointed in me when, at a young age, I told them that I felt God calling me to live in the inner city. I fell off their pedestal, thankfully. In college some of my acquaintances didn't even know that I was a M.K. for my first year, I never advertised it. I hated being on that pedestal. I just wanted to be treated normal.

When Marshall and I first moved into our current neighborhood we got a lot of pats on the back from people in our church. We felt like the poster children of Glenwood. Not many people knew what a struggle it was for us. We didn't have a clue what we were doing and we felt very much alone. There was a very dark period for me when I could have skipped church altogether because my heart was NOT seeking the Lord or wanting anything to do with ministry. But, I still got pats on the back and would smile like everything was okay.

Now that Marshall is the director of outreach (or as some of the ladies from the women's shelter call him, "THE pastor") I feel the same type of "pedestal" pressure. Many times I put myself there, holding a standard for myself as a "pastor's wife." It's so bogus and damaging. We can't put people or ourselves on pedestals. Basically what we're doing is putting our hope in them. Any hope or faith not put into Christ is an idol.

Sure we can have role models, but we have to be careful not to assume that they have it all together. Instead, we need to pray for those that we might consider putting on a pedestal. We need to recognize that they will fail because they are human. We need to remember that anything good that comes from a person is from Christ. Seriously, if you have doubts that someone in ministry struggles, read more of my blog. I try to be very open about my struggles because I don't want to put myself or have someone put me on a pedestal any longer. Like my pastor says, "the ground at the foot of the cross is level." This means that we are all loved and forgiven the same, nothing we do or don't do changes this. The only person who should be on a pedestal is Christ, Himself. So, knock 'em down, friends! The pedestals, I mean.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Thank-you for the word, and for being honest about your struggles. I am so thankful that Chirst has not called us to live a life of balancing acts on a "pedestal" but that we are to live at the foot of the cross looking up only to Him. :) See you tonight!