Monday, April 20, 2009

Get Out of that Pit!

This is the title of a Beth Moore book that caught my attention as it sat on my mom's book shelf this past week. It's now in my house, sorry mom. I read the first chapter on the way home and it struck me in a needy place. I've been struggling over the past few weeks just feeling stuck in loneliness and despair. I feel too tired to fight it and on top of that I feel shame for struggling, so I've told no one. So, welcome to the story of my pit!

In her book, Beth uses Psalm 40 as her platform: "I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand...." I know God has delivered me from my pit. But, is it possible to slip back into it? I know the enemy does not want me to live in freedom because then more people would see the truth of God's love and be set free. But then, on the other hand, God is more powerful than the evil one, so all glory goes to Him, sooo why the struggle?

Is it a lack of faith that keeps me stumbling back into the pit so easily? Last night, I was reading in a book by Rob Bell called "Velvet Elvis." He had a very interesting perspective on faith. "when it comes to faith, everybody has it...everybody is following somebody...an atheist is a person of tremendous faith. In our discussions about the things that matter most then, we aren't talking about faith or not faith. Belief or no belief. We are talking about faith in what? Belief in what? The real question isn't whether we have it or not, but what we have put it in." So there, I Do have faith, but I am not choosing to put my faith in God. I'm putting it into myself, other people, or circumstances to change. So when I'm feeling despair over someone's life, my faith is in them to change or for me to fix them. Both of these acts of faith produce hopelessness and failure. Only God can transform.

Why is it that I know Christ is my solid rock, the only person that has never changed how much he loves me and yet I choose to put my faith in the mud and mire that I get stuck in? Rob's perspective on faith really helped me to see that I need to wake up! Stop putting my faith in the things that drag me down and put my faith on the One who sets my feet on the rock. This old hymn keeps running through my head, "My faith is built on nothing less than Jesus' love and righteousness." Lord make this my cry! The little mustard seed of faith that I have in You, take it and multiply. I know you did not promise life would be easy, but you did promise to be faithful and to set my feet on solid ground. Only in this should I put my faith! Can you imagine, if we could channel all the faith that we have in ourselves, other people, our country, our families to faith in Christ---WOW, we would be a different people.

4 comments:

Nichole said...

Yay, love it, needed to hear it this morning!

Nichole said...

PS. I have this book on my shelf also :-)

Meredith Uber said...

OH my gosh, I just went out and bought this last week!!! let's talk about!

Meredith Uber said...

A verse that has helped me these past few days is Lord I believe help my unbelief and Jesus answered the man's prayer. It's in Mark chapter 9, I think.