Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I Don't Want to See the Inside of Our Dr.'s Office Again!!!

At least not for a while. This past month, I feel like our family could have been the sole providers for the office. Thank goodness for a smart husband that set up a flex plan for this stuff. We've probably drained it by now, just within the last month!

First there were some routine checkups, my high blood pressure scare checkup, then there was the emergency room visit to stitch up Psalter's head injury, followed by the visit to our doctor the following week to remove the stitches. While we were at that appointment the Dr. noticed Eliza was looking rough (she'd had a high fever for a few days), so she did a strep test and sent us home with no conclusions. We ended up back there the following Tues. because Eliza's temp was still there. After many pokes, swabs, long waits, questions about whether or not she would need a shot and could we go home now and an x-ray to rule out pneumonia, the conclusion: she had a double ear infection.

At that visit, I had been coughing and feeling miserable for a few days. I did not say anything, just wanting to wait it out. By Thursday, I was hacking up and blowing out green stuff. Nice, I know. I called the office, did I need to come in? Yes....

I got to go with just Jacob this time. I got to see my Dr. She determined it was viral, sent me home with nose drops and a prescription for an antibiotic if the back of my mouth drainage started to taste bitter. Nice, again. Too bad I don't have a picture.

A few days later, Saturday, I wake up with a sore jaw. I look in the bathroom mirror and I'm horrified by my enlarged cheek and jawbone. It looked like a Brooke Shield's wanna-be botox injection gone bad! On one side. So I called the Dr. on call. So happened it was my Dr. and she would be in the walk-in clinic that day. I went. Tired of frequenting the place. I get taken into my room and when my Dr. stepped in, she took a step back, gasping and said, "Oh my!" Not the most comforting thing to hear your Dr. say. Turns out I had a stone in my parotid gland, those are the salivary glands. Really??? They can do that? She prescribed me a strong antibiotic, told me to eat a lot of sour foods to work the stone out and sent me on my way.

Several hundred co-pay dollars later, we are all healthy and taken care of. I'm thankful that I live in a country with quality healthcare and medication. I'm also thankful that we can afford insurance and the needed medications. I'm very thankful that we are healthy individuals that sometimes get sick and not the other way around! But I still would rather not see the inside of our Dr.'s office for a long, long while.

5 comments:

Heather said...

wow yall have had a lot of sickness!! i hope this spring brings health to you and your kids!

Nan said...

I understand you disdain with the doctor's office. That is a little like our February. Glad all are on the mend. I was getting a little concerned. Good to get another peak on the Benbow's window! Love you!

Caroline said...

Glad you didn't drop off the face of the earth like I previously thought! But being sick isn't any better. I'm glad things are finally working themselves out. I miss you!

SUNSHINE MOM said...

I HEAR YA!!!

Unknown said...

so much to have to deal with on top of just real life! i'm so glad you went to the doctor, instead of picking up our clothes!!! =)