Wednesday, January 14, 2009

One Man'sTrash is Another Man's Treasure!

I wanted to post some pictures of some of my treasures. This bureau was given to us as a left-over from a yard sale.
I sanded it down and painted it for about $12. Everything on top of the bureau came from a yard sale, except for the beautiful red tray from Bolivia! This bureau houses the kid's art supplies and puzzles. Since we live in a 100 year-old house without closets, this find is a God-send!

This table I found on the side of the road. It used to be a kitchen table, which I
cut down to fit in the girl's room in the corner. I had to re-brace the legs onto the table and then the table onto the wall. This table functions as the girls Barbie house, so that they don't have to put everything away every time they play with Barbies. So, this was free!




This treasure I bought at a yard sale this summer. It cost me $25. All it needed were some new knobs (which I got at Habitat Re-Store for $1 apiece!),and the bottom of the bottom drawer was missing, so I had to cut out a new bottom for it. Oh, and it was in desperate need of painting, so I sanded it down and painted it. It cost me about $35 in the end.


This desk was my biggest piece of work. I found it on the side of the road across from a park we frequent. I stuffed it in my car, broken drawers and all. I had to build a support for one of the legs, rip off the back and put new backing on, cut the warped drawers down and then brace them back together with glue and corner brackets. It's no Pier One desk, but I'm proud of it. Obviously I had to paint it (with paint I already had) and buy some knobs. So, for about $10 I now have a desk to set my computer and magazines on, as well as store all my card making supplies and more! So, yeah for recycling throw-aways and yard sales! If you see something with potential on the side of the road, see if it's in decent shape or can be fixed for cheap, then pick it up or call me!:) There so much out there, we don't have to spend lots and lots of money on new furniture. Sometimes it just takes patience and keeping your eyes peeled. All of these items, I feel, were a gift from the Lord. I even prayed for some of them. So have fun looking for treasures, if you need some help fixin' it up, just ask!

6 comments:

NikkiLane said...

YEAH DION!!! i LOVE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!! YOU HAVE SUCH A GREAT EYE FOR THINGS THAT HAVE POTENTIAL!! I WILL BE LOOKING OUT FOR GOOD FINDS TOO
XOOXOX NICOLE LANE

Kim said...

Good for you, Diane! Everything looks great. I'm excited that you're posting so much now- keep em coming.

Kim

Nichole said...

I am really impressed! Definetly calling you for ideas if I find something :-) Someone else that likes to do this very same thing is Reginia (Ya'Vea's mom).

gooddog said...

Those are awesome! Very inspiring... I keep meaning to hit Habitat Restore.

mari said...

Great job! Love the furniture.

Joylynn Rasmussen said...

Diane - you are one RESOURCEFUL lady! I always see things on the side of the road, but I haven't had the courage to pick them up and do some refurbishing.