Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Get in Shape, Girl!!!




Do you all remember that commercial for the ribbon exercise kit? Please tell me someone had that exercise video...take me back to the 80's!

So I was talking with some friends about exercising. We were basically bashing exercise because it takes so long to get into shape, like weeks. But then, unfortunately, it takes one or two times off to get out of shape. This is the main reason why I find myself loathing exercise. So I get on the bitter bus and talk about how hard it is and come up with excuses why I don't.

A light bulb came on today as I was thinking about this. I realized, huh, my relationship with God is a lot like my relationship with exercising. I need Him to keep healthy, but I don't just need Him in doses, I need to spend time with Him regularly. That's the only way I can "stay in shape" spiritually.

For so many years I've lived my spiritual life in a "if only..." syndrome. I thought, if only I could get to that certain point when I would be so spiritual I wouldn't really need God or life would just be easier. Just like my "if only I could get to that certain size, then I could stop exercising" syndrome. Well, friends, the deeper I get in my relationship with God the more I realize my need for Him. Just like, the older my body gets, the more attention I have to give to it!

I'm realizing that these two things require a lifestyle change. I don't want my motivation for exercising to be that I fit into those pre-third-baby pants. I want to take care of the vessel that God blessed me with, to honor Him. And I don't want my spiritual life to be a chore either. I long for a deeper sense of who I am as God's child, what does that mean? I want to desire spending time with Him. I think if I truly believed in how much He loves me, I would spend time with Him and wouldn't be able to get enough of Him. No one in this world loves me and understands me as much as He does, so why don't I give Him the time of day?

When I talk about "spiritual exercise" I simply mean spending time with Him. It means exercising the truths and promises of God in order to rid our minds of the lies we live under. This will leave room for relationship with Him. That is what we need and it is what He longs for, that's why He created us. We would be so much healthier if we truly grasped this concept and put it into action. Lord, please help me to change my lifestyle to include spending time taking care of my spirit, as well as my physical body. Thank you that you long to spend time with me. Help me to believe that!

3 comments:

Caroline said...

So True Sister!

I totally remember that exercise kit. I am realizing too that I need to spend daily time with the Lord and He's showing me more and more about His character - something I have misunderstood for so many years. The Truth is finally starting to sink in instead of bouncing off the surface. I am learning the meaning of grace and seeing how loving God truly is and how desperately I need Him. Its a beautiful thing, hard, but beautiful.

Nan said...

So true Friend! I am learning a lot of stuff like this lately too! Frank and I are coming to town next week, Tues thru Thurs (Dec 16-18). Have time for coffee or a "stroll" at the mall for old times sake? Miss you!

Paula said...

Thank you for your reminder. I just love these blogs how you can click on a friend of a friend and wallla God speaks to you from a total stranger! I know God has put this wonderful network of women in my life for a reason and I'm so thankful for it! Hi I'm Paula by the way. LOL