Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Something about Mary...

Today I was more of a Mary than a Martha. Now, that's unusual because normally I'm a Martha full force. When I say this, I'm referring to the sisters that are mentioned in the Gospels. Martha is the one who is rushing about cooking and cleaning upon Jesus' arrival and Mary is just sitting at His feet listening to Him and asking questions. Martha gets frustrated with Mary and asks Jesus to tell Mary to help her. Jesus responds, "What Mary has chosen is better."

So, today, for part of it, I have chosen to sit at His feet. There's even a pink ring around my toilet, coffee stains on the bathroom sink, laundry on the couch, dirty dishes in the sink and toys laying around. Those who know me well know that those are hard things for me to leave undone! But I did, to play games with the girls, to tutor Brianna, to spend time at my Lord's feet and to blog.

And surprise, surprise, the Lord met me during my time of quiet. I had to quiet my mind from obsessing over the laundry basket sitting next to me and the pink toilet in the next room, but I asked the Lord to bless the time and my effort. It's amazing what you can hear when you sit down to listen. I heard truth about His extravagant love for me. I heard Him say He will never let go through the calm and through the storm. I even learned some incredible truths from the book of Leviticus.

So, I guess Mary did chose right. Oh Lord, help me to be more like Mary in this Martha world!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Amen Sister! Glad you took time with Jesus! That is big that you left those chores undone, knowing how you love to clean. There is a time for that, but I'm glad you chose to meet with Him. Miss you!