Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wounded Soldiers

I clean a Barber Shop once a week. I know the thought of being around hair grosses some people out, but what I experienced Monday morning before 7:00 AM was much worse than hair! I usually empty the trash cans first. I was in the kitchen emptying the big can when I saw it....staring at me with one of it's beady eyes, body limp. I positioned the big can in front of poor Mickey, so I would not have to feel guilty about his demise all morning.

As I took the trash outside, I lifted the lid of the big can and a very large "indestructible" gawked at me with his antennae and then scurried under some paper and bottles, out of sight. Thank goodness. I returned to the kitchen to find yet another very large roach scurry across the floor. What in the world???? Do I get paid enough to encounter such critters?

That was not the end of it! Later, I was vacuuming and I saw friend #3 and he didn't scurry away, but challenged me to a fight. Out of pure panic that he just might attack, I whacked him with the end of the vacuum. Not once, not twice, but three times, until I saw some proof that he was dead.

I couldn't clean him up then, I would need a whole roll of paper towels and time to prepare myself (BTW, did I ever tell you that I grew up in Africa? land of poisonous snakes, scorpions, lizards, giant spiders and evil monkeys? Yeah, and I'm afraid of a roach...). Later I came back with the wad of paper towels to find a trail of guts, but no roach. THAT, my friends, is why I'm scared of roaches, they're indestructible. I saw him hobble across the floor on his good side. I saluted him and let him go. Kudos to Mr. Roach for surviving the crazy whacking giant. I hope you died in peace, wherever that was.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

that's awesome. i wish i could have seen you whack him 3 times. =)

SUNSHINE MOM said...

hahahhahahaha

Nan said...

Yucky!!! I can't stand them and will jump and run...I don't have the nerve to whack 'em!

Caroline said...

I would have been outty after seeing the first one. You are much braver than me D!

NikkiLane said...

Dion you know I can't handle roaches!! remember the ONE in our apt I almost moved!!!

miss you
xoxo stross

Unknown said...

You are braver than I just for wacking it! I can't believe it got away after three punches!

My worst roach story happened at a friend's house in Texas where the critters are HUGE. I was leaning against the black granite countertop when I realized one was RIGHT THERE, its dark skin blending in with the surroundings. I not only screamed and lept halfway across the kitchen, but I pretty much pounced on my friend and clung to him for a good twenty seconds-- all of this in one connected motion. After killing it, we laughed pretty hard at how silly I looked.

Something I might recommend to the roach haters: at Whole Foods in Chapel Hill I was able to find a bug spray that's orange-peel based-- it's supposed to be safe around kids, food, pets, everything! (Well, EXCEPT aquatic invertebrates, they note... so watch out, pet sea anemone!?) I hate poisons, but I feel safe enough to leave this on our kitchen counter. I haven't had a chance to use it against a roach yet, but it has worked splendidly on ants and spiders. Since you don't have a Whole Foods I don't know where else you might be able to find it-- but it's amazing! :o)

Unknown said...

A meme was passed on to me, and I had to pass it on to seven other people. I love reading your stories, so I chose you as one of my seven! Haha, so if you have time and want to do it, you may see the instructions, along with my answers over on my blog.

jonathan smith said...

"There's never just one cockroach in the kitchen," or the barber shop. You're braver than most of the women and all of the men I know...Peeps