Friday, June 13, 2008

I'm Changing my Name!

For the past week or so I've heard, "Mama" thousands of times. Not in a happy voice, but a whiny voice with arms lifted up. Another word that's been uttered too many times is "Bupa," which translates to "up." I don't know what happened to my sweet, laid-back little boy. We went to the beach two weeks ago and someone switched him out with this whiny, needy, temper tantrum throwing, mama name-calling little guy.

One night last week when all the kids were down, except Jacob, who was still screaming in his bed, I just gave up. I felt so out of control and overwhelmed. I felt a gentle tug from my Father to spend some time with Him, which I did. The scripture that came to my mind for this experience was from James 1. Sometimes I want to rip this page out of my Bible or clock the next "James" that comes my way. But, really, I need to be reminded of this scripture all the time. "Consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds."

Who WANTS to face trials??? Of course we don't want to, necessarily, but that's the point. It's in our weakest moments that we cry out for help and God is waiting to use the experience for our benefit. He uses it to help us persevere through His strength, which builds character and character builds maturity. I definitely want to grow in maturity in Christ, so if that means "suffering," then bring it on! That's what Paul says, "when I am weak, then You are strong (in me)." This means that when I am at a loss and I look to Christ for help and allow His strength to work through me, then WOW!

"I can do all things THROUGH CHRIST who strengthens me..." Philippians 4:13. The key point being "through Christ" and not "all things," because if we are doing things through Christ, then we would be doing all the right things. So, I can deal with hearing, "Mama!!!" 1,000 times a day and love my little "monster" through Christ's strength, and His alone. After my change of heart, I've decided not to change my name, I actually now enjoy it.

6 comments:

gooddog said...

love the post.... thank you for the encouragement today. i miss monday mornings and seeing your face. lots of love- hmb

SUNSHINE MOM said...

great post! WOW! I needed that!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

hi Diane - I just thought I would pop in and say "hi." I found your blog through the Freeman's and had great fun seeing the pictures of your precious blessings. We met when I led worship for the Grace ladies retreat..you picked my "mug" and we bonded over the oh so sad loss of of the Tar Heels.:) I haven't ventured into blog world yet, but I plan on it in the next few weeks.
blessings, Jen Schmidt

My First Kitchen said...

I'm learning the same thing, and it's nice to know that others can relate. Thanks for being a reminder that the Lord is faithful.

Melissa said...

I can't tell you how many times I have said that exact same thing. "Who are these children and why are they calling me mom!" As stressful as it is, I know the day will come when I will miss it......
Found you on Pocket Change.

Jenny said...

you sure are a good mamma! what an amazing ability good moms like you have to love so selflessly...which, like you said, is really Christ's ability in you. i've been taking notes from you on how to be a great mom someday. i love you and miss you!