Monday, February 4, 2008

Same Kind of Different as Me!

I borrowed this title from a wonderful book that our church body is reading. It's about the relationship that develops between a black homeless man that grew up on the sharecropping plantations of Louisiana and a rich white art dealer. It's an incredible book that I would recommend to everyone to read. The book helped to open up my eyes to lots of different issues and harsh realities that I've hardened my heart to. Since I've been going to counseling and dealing with my emotions and feelings, my heart has been softened. Sometimes it's too much to handle.

A friend and I were having breakfast several weeks ago and were talking about the problem of homelessness, especially in the cold weather. The unsolved problems seemed too heavy for a breakfast conversation. We both felt hopeless. But as I left I started to think about what God has been teaching me over the last several months. Number one, nothing is hopeless when we allow God to be in control and we trust Him with our hearts and passions. Also, it is so important to do SOMETHING about the pain we feel for those that are suffering. Whether it's prayer for the earthquake victims across the world, volunteering at a pregnancy care center, supporting a child through Compassion International or serving at Urban Ministries and Salvation Army. I see through the gospels how Jesus had compassion on the poor and suffering. He brought healing, but it was always through relationship. Even the sick woman who just touched His robe when He passed by and was healed, He also filled her need for His acknowledgment by publicly forgiving her sins.

So, even though the Evil One wants to derail us from doing or caring for anyone with a lot of issues or under a lot of oppression, we don't have to fall into his snare of hopelessness and defeat. I'm seeing how much time and effort it takes to build relationships with people that are different from me. Although their situations are not changing, their hearts can be changed by my relationship with them. Because I am the daughter of the King and therefore, through me, they are seeing God's love and freedom for them. Even though it "feels" like I'm not doing much because I'm not changing someone's circumstances, I am showing them compassion, their true need.

My friend Vicky has helped me see the grand picture. She's been an addict for years and has been rejected by her family. It seems hopeless, but a measure of success for her is seeing that she is unconditionally loved and beginning to believe and trust in that. Hmmm....I'm not so different than her. I see my lack of unbelief in that area. Although I don't use drugs to numb my pain and rejection, I fall to other more hidden means to numb my pain. The more time I spend with her, the more I realize that I need and have God's love and forgiveness as much as her. Even though building a relationship with her is not changing the face of homelessness in Greensboro, it is one drop in the bucket. If every believer had one friend like Vicky, think of the impact that would make! Just a thought....

No comments: