Monday, December 10, 2007

Favorite Foods from My Boarding School's Dining Hall

I want to take a moment to thank Miss Marlene and her staff for all their hard, hard work in making our food three times a day. I know we were not an easy crowd to please and I'm sorry for my whining and complaining!! Now I know why you were grumpy all the time. You were teeny-tiny, so probably didn't feel authoritative enough to tell us to "bug off" when we were being immature, ungrateful little bugers. Little Miss Marlene, this is a tribute to you and all your service, despite the grumpy pants:

Pizza Loaf--my absolute favorite. Homemade bread wrapped around spaghetti sauce, meat and cheese. No one has been able to master this like our dining hall!

Meat and Cheese rolls, with hot tomato sauce--I know, sounds interesting, but they look like cinnamon rolls with meat or cheese in them and then smothered in tomato soup...hmmm

Croutons--I have never ever ever had better croutons than these homemade from French baguettes croutons, so crunchy, with just the right amount of seasonings-perfect! I would eat a whole bowl of them some nights when I was on the salad bar diet.

French dressing--this homemade dressing has ruined me for life. It was the perfect combo of thickness and flavor. I used it, along with peanut butter, to cover food I did not particularly like and was forced to eat. I have never met it's match.

Baked oatmeal--I don't know quite how you did it, but it tasted good to me. I would eat my friends' because she didn't like it and we weren't allowed to scrape any food, so...

Granola--are you sensing a theme? I love carbs and french dressing... this homemade granola was awesome. I would go back for seconds. Again, I have not found anything quite like it here.

There may be more, but most of what I'm remembering after these mentioned items, I still cringe over, so I think that I will stop for now. Thank you Miss Marlene and the wonderful staff, especially the guys that spoke Bwamu with me. I remember coming in the afternoons and helping you roll out the bread dough, put ingredients into the big mixer, helping you wash dishes and put stuff away in the walk in freezer. I had some fun afternoons helping out, before I became too cool.

No comments: